Monday, February 1, 2010

Ain't No Sunshine: A Survey

It's (diagnosed by me) official: I am suffering from a severe case of SAD.  When the sunshine hides, I find myself in a hard-to-shake funk.  When Lady Sun comes back, the funk lifts - only to be hidden behind gray, rainy clouds a day or two later.

Today is one of those yucky, funky days.  I'm sitting by one of the back windows, wishing for that beautiful golden glow.  Instead, the only gold is the dead grass that is my lawn.  It's in the 30s.  And wet.  And gray.  I'd like to embrace Annie's enthusiasm, but I know that tomorrow is also going to be gray.  And the day after that.  And the day after that.  It's pretty much going to be a gray week.

So, in honor of a gray day, I'm going to play along with Jennifer and Leigh's survey.

Outside my widow ...
It's a cold, wet, rainy day.  I'm sitting in Paul's chair by the back windows, looking onto a yard full of dead grass, littered with outside toys that are begging for sunshine so the boys will come out to play.  Our vegetable garden looks very, very dead ... but we've already planned our Spring plantings.  The pumpkin plants from school are slowly wilting away in the terracotta pots the boys each decorated a few weeks ago.  A few of our patio chairs are uncovered.  I should have recovered them when I stepped out to take the trash.  But, it was cold.  And wet.  So, instead, I went inside and had some more coffee.

I am missing ...
The carefree days of Summer.  Running around in the green grass.  Sipping wine on the patio after Paul gets home from work.  Eating outside.  Swinging, sliding and pretending the playscape is a pirate ship and that we can see Canada and Africa and Mexico just by looking through the telescope.

I am thankful ...
For having a wonderful family to distract me.  For having a home that's a little too big that begs to be cleaned.  For having too much when so many have too little.  For my morning coffee.  For Dulce de Leche coffee creamer.  For "Lucky's Girlfriend" - my insulated Starbucks tumbler from which I sip my coffee every morning.  For "Dinosaur Train" in the background.

From the kitchen ...
A quiet whisper to unload the dishwasher and sweep the floor.  Later today, though, I think the boys and I will bake something.  I have two bananas begging to become bread.

I am wearing ...
(Embarrassed to admit!)  A brown t-shirt,  a beige sweater (I just came in from dragging the trash to the curb), blue jammie pants with coffee cups and hearts on them.  I just slipped off my black sparkly Fit Flops, which I wore to the curb.  Oh, and my sports watch.  I heard it dates me to wear a watch, but I feel compelled to keep one on.

I am creating ...
I'm still working on a scarf for Paul.  It's Noro Kureyon No. 149 in a 2x2 rib.  Nothing overly exciting, but it is nice and masculine.  I'm also working on a ruffled bloomer to go under a dress I sewed the other day for a friend from high school.  And, I'm supposed to be starting OrgJunkie's 28-day challenge today, tackling my sewing/craft room.  I was inspired by Jen's before-and-afters over at Naughty Secretary Club.  While my befores aren't quite as daunting as hers, I do hope my afters will be as fabulous!

I am going ...
Nowhere today.  I hit HEB yesterday and picked up groceries to last a few days.  I have no plans to leave the house today.  I may not even change out of my jammie pants.   (The boys have already decided they're staying jammied all day today.)

Around the house ...
There are areas to be tidied up, and I need to tackle the kitchen countertops again.  They've disappeared under stacks of papers, mail, school folders and magazines.  Again.  Mitchell's new bedroom furniture is supposed to be delivered tomorrow, so I'll be starting the tasks of moving the baby furniture out of Noah's room, purging the boys' clothes, reloading the dressers, etc.  It's exciting and sad all at once that Noah is moving out of his crib and into a big boy bed.  I found his bedding the other day at Home Goods and need to zip back over and pick it up.  (I got distracted by a phone call!) That store is awesome!  The quilt is just $29.99!  We're not sure what we'll do with the crib.  The changing table is moving into my craft room.  It will become my cutting table, I think.

One of my favorite things ...
Spending time with my boys.  Noah randomly runs up to me and gives me a hug and kiss.  Mitchell randomly tells me he loves me.   (One of my not-so-favorite things right now: Attempting to potty train Noah.  He has no desire!  He was really eager a few months ago and has now decided that wearing a diaper isn't so bad.  HELP!!!)

A few plans for the rest of the week ...
Cleaning house.  Doctor appt. on Wednesday (just a regular check-up).  MOPS on Friday.  My mom and Larry are coming to visit Friday afternoon.  Birthday party for one of Mitchell's friends on Saturday.

9 comments:

Jennifer C. said...

These rainy days are so yucky. I'm ready for some sun again too.

I loke this survey!

PamKittyMorning said...

I hear you on those gloomy days. UGh.

Ashley said...

Aww....Noah's moving into a big boy bed...bittersweet for sure.....

Rodolfo said...

Our house feels more cozy when it's raining..very nice post.

Imperial Voyages - Tour Operator in INDIA said...

Imperial Voyages Tour Operators In India Provide All India Tour Packages At Cheapest Price. Tour Operators In India

burkkevin said...

I am glad to be here and read your very interesting article, it was very informative and helpful information for me. keep it up. Deckard Coat

Jobi said...

Great information about wilderness for beginners giving the opportunity for new people.
Knight Rider Jacket

George Mark said...

Get the latest and good quality clothing items Jackets,Coats and Vests Movies, TV Series, Gaming, Casual,Faux Leather and Leather materials available. Opening Ceremony Varsity Jacket

Jobi Johnson said...

Put more informative things on this blog page, and thanks for sharing this. Last Night in Soho White Coat