Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Things We Do

Mother is the one we count on for the things that matter most of all.
- Katherine Butler Hathaway
"The Journals and Letters of the Little Locksmith"


I am a mother. Aside from having two gorgeous boys to remind me of this day after day, I am reminded of this when I do the absurd.

For instance, just a few minutes ago ...

Paul takes Mitchell up to bed then rushes down asking if I know where Mr. Silly is.

(Mr. Silly is a rubbery gecko toy that Mitchell received in a goodie bag at a birthday party this weekend.)

Apparently, Mitchell decided that Mr. Silly needed to join us for tea in the backyard this afternoon, and Mitchell forgot to bring him back inside and tuck him safely into his bed.

So, at approximately 9:10 tonight, I grabbed a flashlight, turned on the outside lights, slipped on some shoes and began the search for Mr. Silly.

Yes, I searched the grass around the area where we had our tea party. I checked the chairs and tables on the patio. I even looked in the sandbox. In a moment of desperation, I climbed to the top of the playscape and looked all around before sliding down again.

(Note to self: You should really work on that Sir Mixx a Lot booty if you want to go down that slide much more.)

Then I remembered the struggle I had with Mitchell during the tea party when he insisted that Mr. Silly needed to take a bath. In the backyard. At that moment. With the water hose.

I walked over to the hose and found poor Mr. Silly with his head stuck inside.

I picked him up and whisked him away to Mitchell's room. We all bid him goodnight, and Paul tucked him into his little tissue bed which he fashioned on Sunday night.

Ah, the things we do for our children!

1 comment:

HeatherPride said...

Indeed!! What a good mom you are, to go on a search and rescue for Mr. Silly like that!!