Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Turkey Money

One of Mitchell's favorite morning rituals is to rifle through Paul's drawer in the bathroom while I'm getting dressed. The drawer is a treasure trove for little boys: The key to the John Deere tractor, sometimes a Leatherman tool, pens and pencils - and change. The latter is the most exciting to Mitchell. He loves to bring me different coins so I can tell him about them. Since they've started minting the state quarters, there's lots to talk about.

This morning, he brought me a Turkish Lira. When I told him it was money from Turkey, he put it in his pocket. I asked if he wanted to bring it for "show and share" at school.

"No," he said. "I'm going to use the Turkey money to buy a turkey sandwich. That's what it's for, turkey sandwiches."

No comments: