Sunday, September 7, 2008

The happiest moment of my week

Tonight, Mitchell was doing his usual bedtime stall, "I'm hungry," uttered in the most pathetic of voices while writhing around on the floor like a child who hasn't eaten in days.

He asks for grapes and milk - two of the three options I offered.

He's standing at the coffee table munching on the grapes when he brings one to me and says, "We always have to say a prayer before our afternoon snacks." Then, he takes a grape to Paul. He goes back to the table and proceeds to lead us in "God is great, God is good ..."

Tears welled up in my eyes! This is the first time he's initiated prayer! Then, he had to give me kiss after kiss after kiss after kiss before going upstairs for storytime and bedtime. (I love that stall tactic!)

BTW: They're starting another "Goosebumps" book tonight.

Maybe the Lutheran preschool (one day, anyway) and Sunday School (which started this morning) are finally making it all sink in.

After church, we were asking him what he liked about Sunday School. "Nothing." We asked if he sang any songs. "I don't know." We asked if he did anything fun. "I'm too tired to talk about it."

On the way home from the grocery store later this afternoon, he pipes up that he sang "Father Abraham" at Sunday School with Miss Jodi. Then, he asked if I know "Father Abraham." I knew one song like that and luckily it was the one! I asked him he he waved his arms and he said no but his friends did.

It's amazing to me when that something inside just clicks and he gets it!

2 comments:

Tootsie Farklepants said...

My youngest son is currently hooked on Goosebumps! Whatever gets him reading.

The Stiletto Mom said...

Yay! The Christian pre-school is working out! Very cute, I loved that stage of my kids lives. Now, they just look at me and say "Meh..." and roam off to bed. :)