Thursday, August 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

Everyone please join me in singing "Happy Birthday" to my wonderful mother!

Today is Nanny's birthday - I hope she enjoys the gift I sent her. (I hope she receives it before reading this!)

When we were kids, we sometimes got to choose a special supper for our birthdays. I always loved my mom's lasagna (and she didn't make it often because lasagna is hard work, especially when you're making enough for 6+ people, including my brother who probably ate enough for two or three!). I think I probably requested it from time to time. That, and asparagus.

Other things I love about my mom:
  • The way she says rice and ice. You'd think they rhyme, but not when she says them.
  • The way she tells it like it is. Truth can hurt, but sometimes you have to hear it.
  • The way she gets up super early, just because. I like this one because when we're together, it means there's a guaranteed cup of coffee ready for me when I wake up.
  • The way she's unpleasant until she's had that first cup of coffee. (Like mother, like daughter, like grandson - Mitchell comes by it naturally!) I know I don't have to make small talk first thing in the morning.
  • The way she gave us little nicknames as children - and still uses them today. (I'll forever be Nana.)
  • The way she knows I don't like something when we're out shopping because I flare my nose when she shows it to me. Paul has never noticed this one, but Mom calls me on it all the time.
  • The way she makes biscuits and gravy. Mom keeps a jar of bacon fat drippings on hand because, we all know, bacon makes it better. (She makes the best green beans too, thanks to that jar of bacon!) Mom makes delicious biscuits and gravy. She sometimes makes the biscuits from scratch - and they are the best. ever.

We're headed to Baytown for the long weekend to celebrate with her and the rest of the family. Say a few prayers for us, as my children aren't known as the best travelers - and my car still stinks since Noah took the lid off his sippy cup and used it to bang into the cup ... that was full of milk with vitamin drops.

No comments: