Friday, July 18, 2008

WWE(P)D

What Would Emily (Post) Do?
 
I'm oftentimes in charge of social events for my office - both those for employees and those for our business partners.
 
We had a swanky shindig last night, and we went as far to put a deadline for RSVPs on the invitation.
 
The party was scheduled to start at 7.  At 5:30, I received a phone call from someone who was not invited to ask if she could come and could I give her directions on how to get there.
 
So, I ask, "What would Emily (Post) do?"
 
I was gracious and explained that she was lucky that we pad the headcount a little to allow for last-minute guests.  Then I asked from where she was coming and gave her turn-by-turn directions so she could get there.  (Had she actually been invited, she would have received a map!)
 
After I hung up, I was talking to Ken, my boss, and he accused me of being too nice.
 
I laugh at the thought of me being too nice - these are terms that are oftentimes reserved for, well, people who are actually nice.  (Present company excluded, of course!)
 
A side note here: We are in the South, people.  RSVP is you ticket in the door - just because you're invited doesn't mean your invited.  No ma'am.  One must engrave her name on the guest list by replying that she'll attend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep, people who don't RSVP annoy me so much. For Graham's party we put regrets only, and it still bothers me b/c I know of several people who will be out of town who have not told me that they can't attend! By the way, summertime is really hard for having b-day parties - everyone is out of town!

Elizabeth Channel said...

I'm in the deep, deep South, and, even so, am finding that people truly do not know the meaning of RSVP. It's frightening actually...at my son's 6th b-day I had no idea how many were coming. We invited 40 and about 15 showed up, which was fine, but sheesh...no one reads EP anymore, or even Kate Spade!